Friday, November 30, 2012

Working Out in Botswana

Every move comes with its own workout challenges! In Shanghai I got spoiled by the free daily yoga and Pilates classes courtesy of the Ritz Carlton gym. And while on home leave, I continued my group workout addiction at my parents' YMCA, but as you can imagine, there isn't much of a yoga/Pilates scene in Botswana. I did find a Pilates class here and tried it a few times, but dropped it because the instructor was so unreliable that he sometimes wouldn't even remember the days and times of our scheduled classes. Also, work makes it difficult for me to commit to a certain time in the evenings, because sometimes I have to stay late and don't find out about it until the last minute.

The best video in the series, in my opinion.
I always felt so great after yoga/Pilates class in Shanghai and at home that it was tough to think about going two years without that amazing relaxed and "all stretched out" feeling!

So, take a yoga/Pilates addiction and move it to southern Africa and what do you get? A whole lot of exercise videos ordered online! I am really enjoying working out in the comfort of my home, and am finding that I prefer it to the gym. With the convenience of workout videos, I can set my own schedule, take a break when I need it without missing a part of the exercises, and also choose my own music to play over the video. I felt a little bit like a Desperate Housewife at first, dancing around in my living room, but quickly got over that!

My favorite videos so far are Ellen Barrett's The Studio series. These videos are a great combination of yoga, Pilates, and ballet moves that leave you feeling stretched out and sore in all the right places - waist, back, and upper thighs & arms. I would definitely recommend them for those of you living overseas and looking to diversify your workout routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment